Thread: Got Pics?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Doug W.

Jim,

I got my cast iron dutch oven when the Boy Scout troop I was in replaced all of their's with aluminum ones. It was a little rusted, but only $10. I have cooked plenty in both. In fact I have a reflector oven also. I will use the electric oven if I have hookups, but that is not an option when dry camping.

My personal favorite Boy Scout story is we had a new leader that was trying to top me and another guy cooking. We were both around 40 and were both Eagle Scouts and had been leaders for years. He gave up the day he came into camp and we were cooking an apple and a cherry pie in a cardboard box lined with foil. I could have used my reflector oven, but that would not have had the impact of the cardboard box. He still cooked and still tried new stuff, but was not trying to top us. He also starting asking about our tricks we learned over the years. I also thought it was stupid when they insisted I got training. My troop was pretty creative when I was young, so I taught the people teaching the class a few tricks.

Doug