View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Pull the fuse for the leveling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick

I have the additional problem that no one has been able to tell me how to set up the WDH on my Envoy which is equipped with load leveling airbag rear suspension. Talk about a mystery... everytime you change something the compressor kicks in and re-levels the truck. The original dealer had so much weight on my front tires that he ruined a 17 inch Michlin towing it home (2000 miles). For instructions on WDH setup, GMC points to trailer dealers, dealers point to hitch makers and hitch makers say to -- didn't even bother to ask. So best I can think of would be to measure weights on each tire as described above. A spreadsheet would be beneficial in the meantime. I didn't even consider additional weight on the TM due to the WDH.
Doncha hate trucks that "think" they're smarter than you are?

One workaround might be to disable the load leveling system while you're trying to get the WDH adjusted to provide equal squat on front and back axles.

I'd first load the Envoy for a trip and let the load leveler do its thing. Then I'd pull the appropriate fuse and disable it. Then do the WDH adjustments by measuring wheel well arch to ground distance at front and rear.

If the load leveler simply tries to maintain a level vehicle, it shouldn't do much if any "leveling" after you re-enable it with the trailer hooked up. OTOH, if it works by attempting to get a specific height on the rear suspension, you may wind up front end low, rear high...but at least you could be confident that you've equally distributed the tongue weight between front and rear axles of the Envoy

Since pulling a fuse is a pretty easy thing to do methinks it's worth a try.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote