View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarF View Post
Thanks for all the knowledge filled responses.
I have an E150 with the factory tow package. The down side is it only has the 4.2 V6. It was a special order vehicle by the Yamaha Corporation. I guess they were only towing motorcycle trailers. The tow rating is 5000. I know I would have to travel light. The seller is including a Reese WD hitch, though. Not sure what model hitch. He told me he got 15mpg towing with a Chevy Astro. I looked up the towing specs and the Astro and my E150 are close in numbers. Not that that should justify me having enough towing capacity.
At 5,000 tow capacity and a 3124KD, you should be safe, but you might not be happy. You just have to tow with it a while to see. Be sure to check the owners manual for the capacity of your hitch while using a WD setup (it should also be somewhere on the hitch itself), and make sure you know how to properly adjust the WDH for your TV and trailer. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in a campground and a rig comes in with a WDH that has absolutely no distribution actually going on! Finally, if your E150 doesn't already have a brake controller, you'll need to buy and install one. I don't know what year your E150 is, but my 2004 F150 came with the factory tow package, but that did NOT include the brake controller. Just a connection under the dash where you could plug one in. Properly adjusted trailer brakes are an absolute must.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote