View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

800 lbs will add up pretty quick. Two adults with provisions for two weeks can add up pretty quick. We don't know what stuff you carry. The first thing you should do is weigh the TM at a CAT scale. These are located at commercial truck centers. Weigh your TM empty ( no camping gear, just the TM equipped as you bought it). It may weigh more than the tag or sticker on the side. This is actual weight. Then look at the sticker for GVWR. Then subtract the empty weight, sometimes considered dry weight, and you'll have your carrying capacity. Then when your ready to go camping, load it all up and weigh it again. This will provide you a guideline for how much you've added. After a few trips, you'll be able to load and unload with ease knowing you've not exceeded the limits. An overloaded TM or any RV for that matter is dangerous.

Tires will be the big factor on GVW. Each tire is rated for max weight. If your tires won't handle the weight, does not matter if your TM says it will.

One other thing to think about is the tow vehicle Gross Combined Weight Ratio. That is the combined weight for the TV, passengers, gear, and gross tow weight. Total for everything. Propane, battery, cargo in the TV, cargo in the TM. The Combined weight limit is an important number, not just the towing weight max. If at some point you think that the TM is near its limit for weight, and you shift gear to the TV, you've have to be aware of the TV limits.

My trucks combined ratio number is 11,000 lbs. Sounds like a lot. When I add up my truck at 4700 lbs, my TM at 4200 lbs, my motorcycle loaded in the truck bed at 700 lbs, two passengers, gear for two weeks, I'm well over 9k lbs. Invite two friends and their gear and I'm over 10k lbs. Adds up quickly.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote