Thread: Shower Curtain
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #14
k_and_p_camping

Default Gray water collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Lisa
I purchased my stall from KMart and it comes with a hook-in floor that holds water, a net bottom that allows flow through, shower pockets and even a towel bar. I plan to put a net "drain" in the solid floor to direct water to the center so I can contain it in an automotive oil drain pan.

The grates previously mentioned in other posts can be found at Camping World or through any RV dealer's catalog. Personally, I'd make my own from composite decking board and brass piano hinge. When I construct my grate, I plan to make it tall enough so the oil pan will fit. This would allow me to shower without causing environmental harm.
I always thought I was pretty frugal in my shower water use, but I can't imagine using an oil pan to collect the water. An oil change is about 5 quarts, and even if the pan is twice that size, it's a pretty skimpy shower. I figure I use about 2 1/2 - 3 gallons of water. That means getting wet, turning off the shower and soaping/shampooing, then turning it back on to rinse.

BTW: I applaud your efforts to collect gray water instead of letting it run on the ground. Very few camp grounds allow gray water to just drain, and even if they do it isn't very good for the soil and the organisms.

Pam (who hasn't read the board in way too long, but is now in the mood for camping!)