View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Shane -- Have you ever tried not using antifreeze? I've not had a TM in a freezing climate where it just sits (not camping), but it's always been my understanding that antifreeze is not required in a TM.
Dave
There are many very good posts / threads about winterizing, and a Search on that term will pull them up. My understanding has always been the same as yours, EXCEPT that some minor (easy) steps are needed. As I recall them ---
Take off the inside shower head, shake it dry and set it aside. Drain the hose. Leave the valves ON.
Take off the outside shower head, shake it dry, and set it aside. Drain the hose. Leave the valves ON.
Run the pump for a few seconds to get most of the water out of the pump head.
Leave all faucets ON for the winter, including the faucets for the showers, sinks, and under-body drains. If any water collects, this will give it a place to go.

Being a belt and suspenders guy, I always used to put some non-toxic antifreeze down all the drains, as you do, even though the plastic plumbing is supposed to be able to handle freezing without breaking.

By the way, for those who want to run antifreeze through the system, it is often said that you need a water heater bypass in place, or you will need to fill the water heater with lots of expensive antifreeze. I think this is incorrect on several counts. Anti-freeze is only $4 a gallon at Walmart, and the TM water heater is only 6 gallons. Compared to the annoyance and cost of putting in a bypass, and then working around it when you need access to something else under there, I would consider this cheap.

My 2020 2720QS came with a factory-installed water heater bypass. It makes everything under the counter cramped, and a PITA to work on. I don't think the factory is doing this any more, though I would like to know if I am wrong about this.

Just my experience ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote