View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjk4201 View Post
Considering purchasing 2008 TR2720. I want to tow with 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited, 4.0L engine, automatic. I understand I need to install tow package, tranny cooler, electric brake and class III hitch with stabilizer bars which give me ability to tow GVW 3500#. Has anyone towed this TR with this mini van cross country and in the mountains? If so what are cons and pros of using the mini van to tow the TR?
Kind Regards,
Bruce
Towing is a small fraction of the total miles for my tow vehicle, hills are occasional, and "off road" is when we back into a campsite that usually has hookups. This is a very different usage environment from some of our Western members who live at 7000 feet or camp after following many miles of unimproved roads into the boondocks. Challenging usage environments should logically mandate heavier tow vehicles.

Tow ratings are guidelines based on manufacturer's assumptions about what and where you might be towing. They wouldn't be expecting the low profile or the relatively heavy tongue weight of the TrailManor. Different manufacturers tell you to calculate towing capacities differently, and you should read your owners' manual about your towing limits. In a world where tow ratings have a lot of basis in marketing, transmission durability, and rear axle ratios which have nothing to do with safety, a 3800# trailer is not automatically unsafe and a 3200# trailer is not automatically safe.

I would expect to find TM owners happy with Chrysler minivans as tow vehicles in some places and not so much in others. Actual owner experience in the places you'd like to go is a great source of information.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote