View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
PopBeavers

We went from San Jose to Bass Lake, CA, a distance of about 190 miles. Sea level to around 5,000 feet, with one mountain between us and the California central valley.

We were pretty heavy. A dozen cases of beverages on the floor of the back seat. Motorcycle, tools, awning, generator, firewood, dual 5 gallon gas cans, both full, 3 coolers full, 3 bicycles and a bunch of other stuff.

According to the on-board computer we got 9.9 miles per gallon. About the same as I have been getting the the 2002 Silverado 1500HD. Same engine I think. Certainly a different transmission.

The longer wheel base of the Sierra compared to our Silverado is a factor in the increased stability when towing. The Silverado, with a similar load, will porpoise sometimes depending on speed and quality of the road surface. That did not seem to happen with the Sierra.

I did not drive, due to a bad knee. My wife liked the factory tow mirrors. With the 1500HD we were using McKesh mirrors.

No matter how big the truck is, it will always be full. We took more stuf this time than we ever did before. But, this was a family reunion with a total of 13 people camping and another 8 that lived nearby and just visited during the day. Everyone else had tents.

Everyone was impressed with all the stuff that we take with us. The children liked the Otter Pops that I kept frozen in the TM fridge. The grownups liked the Tequila that I also kept in the TM freezer. When using a Margarita machine, the ice is shaved and will melt quickly. Keeping the tequila in the freezer reduces quick melting.

The only thing we did not have that anyone wished that we had was a screen room. For part of the day the gnats were annoying. I'll have one for the next trip. I still have some room I need to fill up.