Thread: Kumho blowout!
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #36
saltbranch

"My TM tracks very slightly to the right due to the factory welding the axle about an inch or so (IIRC) further back on one side vs. the other. Could that contribute to failure, or would that just result in uneven wear, similar to a car out of alignment?"

I would think this would have alot to do with your problem.I do question how you know its an inch off and how you measured it. The reason I ask is that I have built several single axle and tandem axle flatbed trailers. The way you measure is go to a point on the axle closest the to wheel and measure to the center of the ball hitch. I usually "eyeball" the ball hitch center and tape some string and let it drop with a fishing weight(plumb bob) tied on before it hits the ground. Then have someone hold the tape to the outer most common point on each side of the axle, measure to the string. I am good with a 1/4" difference. You cannot go from same side frame to axle measurements, think of the trailer as a triangle as thats what you are pulling, just a box mounted on top of the "triangle"
I have never used torsion axles, just leaf spring setups. I have never looked under my TM closely at the axle to be honest. Surely they are not welded in place, and are bolted in. The torsion axles mounts should be slotted to allow for adjustment. I cant say for sure, but a 1" difference would create wear and heat I would think.
Also when trailer is in storage are the tires covered? I know I have run into tire problems with a trailer at work that is not used much, but when loaded to near capacity I am having tires blowout that are 2-3 yrs old and these a 19.5 tire with less the 20k on them.