Thread: I'm in!
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkee75 View Post
I am a bit nervous about calibrating the brake controller. I read in the instructions that I am to hook up, drive 25 mph and then adjust until the trailer brakes lock up them dial it back "a titch"..... Oh my. I am having visions of sliding right off the icy road doing that.
I'm sorry to hear of the pre-delivery problems you are experiencing. Since the factory is in South Dakota (translation => cold!) I would be very surprised to hear that the factory forgot to winterize it.

Regarding the brake adjustment. I cannot speak to current TMs or current brakes. But in the past, the advice has always been to drive 25 mph on clean dry pavement, and then try to lock up the brakes. And in the past, the result has always been that the brakes will not lock up with the wheels on pavement, but will do so when the road has a bit of sand on it. So in my case, anyway, the bottom line is that I have always run the controller at max, with good experiences. The 2518 is a few hundred pound lighter than my 2720SL's, so you may find that you can lock them up. I'm sure you are kidding about doing it on ice or snow, but ...

For me, a better adjustment method was to drive at any reasonable speed, and come to a controlled stop as if you were coming to a traffic light. Adjust the brake controller so that the overall rig feels like it is stopping at about the same rate as it does without the trailer. This means that the trailer brakes are stopping the trailer, and the truck brakes are stopping the truck, which is just what you want. You will get so you feel this kind of stop every time you put on the brakes, even if you are not in the process of actually calibrating anything.

At any rate, welcome aboard. When you get your TM, you will love it!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote