View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
LiveTicker

Default Have you had experience with the Greenball brand of tires? Transmaster/Towmaster/etc

Have you had experience with the Greenball brand of tires? I had never heard of them.

I went to Discount Tire (AZ) to check on ST225/75R15 trailer tire prices. The clerk recommended the Greenball Transmaster 10ply E-rated for $103. He liked the tread better than the Greenball Towmaster 10ply E-rated $108. (It’s pretty rare for a salesman to recommend anything cheaper!) There is also a $16 charge for mounting/balance/metal valvestem for a grand total of $398(?incl tax).

From the internet - comments range from “stay away” to “no problems”. I know folks will post negatives if they have problems, but rarely post positives if they work great.

From what I have learned here – trailer tires are only good from 3-5 years. My tires are marked:
Left – 0902 == 9th week of 2002 ....................Goodyear Marathon Radial
Right – 5204GF == 52nd week of 2004...............DURO Radial DS2100
Spare – 329 == 32nd week of 1999 (or 1989?) don’t know why old tire appeared on a 2002 TM.

So it looks like I’m getting close to the 3 year age limit <grin!>.

ps. The clerk also mentioned that the trailer tires loose 1/3 of their life every year. Therefore I am thinking that if they try to sell me older tires, such as 6 month old date code tires, then I could demand 1/6 of the price off of tire&mounting. Because I will have to replace them in another 2.5 years. Or am I just dreaming again?