View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
ScrubJay -

Similar question about the high-lift jack. I've seen them strapped to the backs of Jeeps and other serious off-road vehicles, and I understand their utility in lifting one corner of the vehicle to get out of deep sand. But on my Jeep, anyway, the ends of the frame rails are exposed at the four corners, so a jack can get to them. Can you really get a high-lift jack under the frame in the middle of the TM, for changing a tire? Or do you also carry a small bottle jack for that task?

Bill
Travlinon's portion of the same question
"I do have a question about the "Hi-lift, or railroad jack instead of a winch" item on the list. I can see the advantage of having a Hi-lift over the usual jack for changing tires but "instead of a winch" ?? How are they related in your functional use?"

The Hi-Lift I have is 5 feet tall and rated for 7000#, I use it as a duel purpose item, lifting much higher then a bottle jack or use it like a come- along. It has no purpose for the TM. Bottle jack or floor jack is the only safe thing to use there. I would not use a Hi-Lift if you never used one before unless there is someone with you that has experience. This is a tool that can get you in trouble faster then a scissors jack. At the same token it is lighter then a winch and won't run down your battery.

If you are going to use the Hi-Lift to change a tire you will need to block the vehicle or the jack will slip while taking the tire on or off.

My main purpose is to have a lighter extraction tool then a winch for the places we go. That said I should recognize the hazard before I need extraction. As far as I know the only ones on the forums who might use such an item are, popbeavers, mr geek and myself.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote