View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #10
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Understand your current needs for capacity and forecast your future needs.
We bought the Chevy 1500HD truck and the TM in 2005. I failed to predict that by 2008 my weight requirements would increase by 2100 pounds.
Great point Wayne.
I think many people initially buy a TM to fit a TV they currently own....which is totally understandable.
When upgrading or buying a TV specifically to tow, too many people buy something that barely fits the bill, which is a mistake IMHO. Even if you don't carry motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc, the added capacity is there when you need it, and acts as a safety margin when you don't.
Today's small V8's are very economical and don't burn that much more gas than a V6. Above and beyond the more powerful engine, larger TVs will have stronger transmissions, larger brakes, longer wheelbases, stronger frames, more cargo and people capacity, etc. It just make sense.

If any official entity such as the school bus fleet in your area decided to go with smaller vehicles with less power, smaller brakes, smaller transmissions, weaker frames, and then intentionally overloaded them with kids everyday to save money, wouldn't you be outraged? Then why would you consider doing it?