View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Compac Camper

Default Thanks for the info but now another WDH and Pilot story

Thanks to all for your very helpfull information regarding my "additions at the dealer" question for our new 2720SL, which is now less than 2 weeks away - I will upgrade the battery (I like the thread Bill provided regarding the dual golfcart batteries) and all of the rest of them, and including the WDH. Now, here's where I have to confess I too have "the Pilot" (06). And that leads to the WDH, which I have done some resarch with using one on this vehicle. My owners manual says "Not recommended for use with this vehicle...." and the implication is that if you do not adjust it properly, you can experience handling, braking problems. Now - we all know that the whole purpose of the WDH is to achieve the opposite - that is to stablize the vehicle by putting energy latterly into the frame of the trailer and into the "frame" of the TV and ultimately put a downward force on the front axle of the TV. There's the kicker - with my Pilot, I really don't have a "frame". The body is sitting on essentially rails, that are built WITH the body (Unit body). I've known this before I bought it. It is the reason for good gas mileage, great ride, etc. I can pull my boats all day long, because of Low Tounge Weights. But with the TM and other TT's you have higher tounge weights and thus the problem and the need for a WDH. Now I called my dealer and finally American Honda and they told me that I will VOID my warranty if I use one (if it is determined that caused any damage). My question for all out there - Since I'm using a TV with a Unibody structure, and not a body mounted to a frame, and if I use the WDH, where is that weight being transferred - that is some may be moving down the sub-frames of the Vehicle, but isn't some being transferred into the body itself, and how much downword force is finally being applied to the front axle of the Pilot to really do any good? - Sorry for the long thread