Thread: Door Jam Issues
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Where are you located (you didn't fill out that info when you signed up for the Forum)? If you can take the TM to the factory or your dealer and let them deal with it, that might be the best answer.

I'm trying to visualize how the jamb is mounted - my TM is closed up in the garage, so I can't check my memory. That is the little swing panel, right? I'm not a fan of trying to lower that panel, especially by a small amount like 1/4 inch. But my guess is that the deadbolt hits the edge of the hole just a bit outside the hole. Would it not be easier to simply enlarge the hole a bit, to allow the deadbolt to move into it? A few strokes of a file on the strike plate might work wonders.

Are you sure that the pin at the top of the swing panel is pushed fully into the clip? If the pin is outside the clip (easy to do), or if it is not not fully seated within the clip, the swing panel would be misaligned, and the door would hit it. Worth a quick check.

The alignment of the door can be sensitive to how the trailer is leveled. Do you have the stabilizer jacks down? As in all trailers, not just TMs, the frame can twist very slightly if it is set up on a non-level surface, and you lower one jack kind of aggressively to level it. This would affect the alignment of the door slightly - perhaps enough to affect the deadbolt. And this could explain why the door operated correctly on the nice level concrete factory floor, but is a bit off when not level, or cranked up to level, outside - especially if the original alignment was close (granted, it should not have been that close). But you can be sure that the door operated correctly when it was at the factory, since it was opened and closed dozens of times while the trailer was bring built. That would also explain why the bottom of the door hits the jamb.

Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote