View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #21
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I don't think the pocket stop bolt will affect closing because when closed that bolt isn't touching anything, if I'm picturing it correctly in my mind.

You're having trouble closing the same area that you as way out of adjustment, right? Curb side of the front shell was too low so you raised it up? That would effectively push the front shell BACK when in the down position. Is the catch on the shell lining up with the latch on the bottom box? If they are lined up and you just can't get the shell to go down far enough, you want to adjust the torsion bars. If that bar has too much tension on it, it will be a bear to close. Keep in mind the adjusters are on the opposite side of the lift arm (street side adjuster will adjust tension on curb side lift arm and vice versa).
Yes, I did raise the curb side of the front shell - which makes the arm longer, which would make the distance from the torsion bar to the catch longer when the shell is closed. I don't believe it's the tension - I can easily get the shell down far enough TO latch onto the catch, it just isn't, because I think the shell latch is coming down to the rear of the catch, which faces forward. I was thinking that the pocket stop effects the swing of the arm, but it actually effects the range of the swing, not the distance of the radius. So I think I need to lower that side of the shell just a tad, because it's the radius of the swing that is too long. The shell swings down far enough, it's just that the length of the arm (the radius of the swing) brings it down behind the catch. So if I shorten the swing length (shorten the arm), all should be well. Thanks for making me rethink it!