View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
pjnlorrie

Please let me assure everyone, as Dan speculated, I am not trying to rile anyone up. And forgive me, I did not state that we were looking at a brand new 2417KB unit. Your replies may have answered my primary question as most here own older models. We have traveled 20,000+ miles camping in our 04 Aliner Classic. We love it for all the reasons embodied in the TMs; low weight, low towing profile, quick setup/take down, foam sandwich construction (not to the extent advertised for the TMs-Aliners have wood floors & other areas). I have been reading posts here to learn more about TMs, and I was (maybe am) very interested in procurring one. Having a bathroom for midnight calls becomes more appealing with each passing year. Aliners often get dinged in reviews for being rather utilitarian. No fancy fabrics, high end floors, etc. And that's OK, I want durability, not flash. I think Lovetocamp has the explanation to the particle board in the bath walls (panels edged with it, as foam will not hold screws or staples. Maybe the wood I saw in the bed platform (it was OSB) is only for strength in the channel track mounting area.
If I may beg your patience, other items I noted (again, I am NOT here to run TMs down, I'm an engineer and this design intrigues me to no end); many screws inserted at off angles, large misalignments of sealing pads between lower box and rear upper section (not those closed by the velcroed pads/seals), caulking smeared here and there (not the end of the world). May I assume most of you would find this very different from your unit? Maybe the one I inspected was an infamous "Friday afternoon build."