View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I just spent 4 nights in a Casita with my wife -- it was a 17' Spirit Deluxe. They are great campers. A few differences I immediately noticed:
  • They are WAY better at maintaining the internal air temp (via the heat or AC) than Trailmanors. It was 90 degrees out with high humidity, and the AC made the camper feel like an icebox on the Low Cool setting. Plus, it's a smaller AC than on TM's, as it only draws about 8.5 amps, and thus can easily be run on 1 Honda 2000 watt genny (we did that). Conversely, we've stayed in it during the middle of winter, and the AC heater strip can keep the trailer comfortable (in the 60s) when it is 25 degrees outside. That's without running the propane furnace.
  • The build quality is better than on TMs. You won't find the water heater toe-screwed in, and sloppily at that, for example. Whereas the TM is a better example of fine engineering, the Casita is a better example of manufacturing skill, careful assembly, and intensive QA.
  • Casitas hold their value much better than TMs. New, they run about $18k. The one we stayed in was a 2003, and it was just acquired for $11k, and there were people in line to get it 24 hrs after it was posted for sale. 10-year old TMs, which sell for $25-$30k, don't sell for that.
  • Size: this is where TM's come out way ahead. If there is more than 1 of you in the Casita, someone will have to go outside if you want to change your mind. The bathroom is also considerably smaller, but still has a shower and toilet. I think it would be fairly comfortable with 2 people, and MAYBE 2 people plus a small child, especially during fair weather days when you are using the trailer mostly for sleeping (which is what you should be doing, IMHO). But the TM, especially the SL models, basically has a living room, and far more space.

Everything is a compromise......

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote