View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
terryjones1

Default Towing with Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
I tow my 2720 with a 2002 Silverado 6.0L crew cab. I only get around 11 mpg towing, which is not much of a penalty considering I get at best 13.5 mpg empty. I needed a vehicle large enough to seat 4-5 adults and carry 6 mountain bike. This is the smallest full crew cab I could find.

I'm a little surprised you went to Texas to buy a new 2720. I bought my new 2005 2720 from Dinuba RV in Rio Vista, which is only 50 miles from Sacramento. You must have gotten a very steep discount to drive all that way.
The 5.3 liter V8 that is in my Silverado Crew cab has plenty of power for towing the Trailmanor, and all the junk that I put in the back of the Truck. The truck also has a "shell". I suspect a reason that I get such good milage is because I have around a 3.2 to 1 rear axle ratio (I think that yours is around 4.1 to 1). Keeping my speed under 60 mph also helps. I do not know how much the "K & N" filter contributes to lower milage. The larger engine will, of course, tend to use more gas.

The Texas dealer gave me a real good price. He made it worth my while to drive to Texas. Dealers, close to home, would not come close.