View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
guitartom

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
It would be helpful t know what kind of vehicle that you have and how you wired the brake controller.

If you have a late model vehicle with a "Plug & play" harness from the factory or ordered from Prodigy, you may be good to go.

You won't actually know for sure until you plug into the trailer and try the brakes. The controller will give you a message if there are any problems.

There could also be issues with the trailer itself. It is not uncommon for electric brakes to be non-functional for a number of reasons.
For instance, my 2006 Honda Ridgeline came with a "full towing package." I actually needed to have the 7 pin wiring harness done after market. Then, the dealer wouldn't install the brake controller because it was an "after market" part. That entailed me getting up under the dash by the firewall and finding the right wires to connect to the controller. Luckily, the Prodigy came with a honda compatible plug so I didn't have to splice upside down and reaching up 2 feet. It still took me a couple of hours. There was maybe 1 -1 1/2 inches of play in the harness wiring.
Anyway, the point is that the controller has to be plugged in to the harness. Once it's installed, it's fairly easy to set it up for the first time. I think you probably may want to re set it on subsequent trips according to the weight in the trailer.