View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Most of our owner reports tell us that their tongue weights are very near 500# or beyond. Class III trailer hitches are rated for a maximum of 500# tongue weight, and Class IV trailer hitches are not commercially available for anything less than full sized pickups and vans.

There are two possible conclusions to draw from this:

1) Everyone needs to get rid of their old Explorers, Highlanders, and Astros so that they can buy heavy duty pickups so that they can install class IV hitch receivers.

Or:

2) The collective experience of the 95% of us who have been using moderately overloaded Class III trailer hitch receivers without incident suggests that it seems to work out OK with our weight distributing hitches and TrailManors on our Class III hitch receivers.
My 2500HD has a larger receiver than my 1500HD. The 2500HD came with a reducer, which is what I use so I can use the same bar on either truck.

I suppose I could get a larger hitch bar and skip using the reducing sleeve, but I don't even know a local place to buy one. I would have to mail order and it probably weighs a bit more than what I have, so shipping won't be cheap.

Maybe Camping World has them in stock.