View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I suppose it must depend on the sub-model of the Wrangler - are there such things?

I have a 2005 Wrangler X (aka TJ) 4WD with the 4.0L in-line 6 cylinder engine and a 6-speed manual transmission. It is a blast for bopping around the Sonoran Desert (Phoenix, etc). It has a 2" hitch receiver (aftermarket), but only a 4-pin electrical connector to the trailer. Oh, and it has a wicked awesomeTHUMPA THUMPA audio system, thanks to the original owner. It is rated for 2000 pounds of towing capacity. With a 4000-pound TM on the back - well, you get the idea.

Because of the short wheelbase (REALLY short!), I occasionally drop a hitch on it and use it to move my TM around the block and into the garage. No more than 10 mph anywhere. That is a really scary operation. The 400-pound-plus hitch weight of the TM drops the rear bumper at least 4 inches, and raises the front bumper almost as much. The rear tires bulge like desperate balloons. Steering sucks. Braking sucks. Acceleration, even to 10 mph, sucks. It is, as I said, scary.

I would not take this rig out on a major residential street, let alone a highway. I cannot imagine a factory or aftermarket "kit" of any kind that would change this conclusion.

As I say, I love this particular vehicle - but it is in no sense a tow vehicle.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote