View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&C-Nevada View Post
I was not precise in my use of the term "operational weight." I was trying to communicate the difference in specified weight and actual weight of the trailer. I read somewhere that the Trailmanor specified weights are for a "bare" trailer at the factory before installation of options, including many common options like air conditioning and awning. I was concerned that this difference may be significant.
Steve
You were told correctly about the bare weight of a TrailManor trailer - and every other trailer. The bare weight, before additions of any options (air conditioner, awning, etc), is known as "dry weight", and every manufacturer provides this number. Then, once you add in all of your chosen factory-installed options, but no passengers or cargo, you arrive at "curb weight". And finally, when you add in all your stuff - food, clothes, bedding, tools, small appliances, dishes, and so forth - you arrive at what I call ready-to-camp weight. This is the number that your tow vehicle has to cope with, of course. And as you surmise, the difference between dry weight and ready-to-camp weight can be substantial. The actual ready-to-camp weight is the gross weight, and it must not exceed the Gross Weight Rating (GVWR) specified by the manufacturer.

In reality, the dry weight number is of very little use to you, but all manufacturers provide it. You have no control over dry weight. But you can pack light to control the ready-to-camp weight.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote