View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Yup, several posts have hit it. Mirrors! GOOD mirrors! You didn't say what kind of tow vehicle you have (you might add that, along with your TM model, to your signature), but I don't think I have encountered a standard tow vehicle whose mirrors were adequate. You need aux mirrors.

There has been a lot of discussion about mirrors, and you can use the Search tool to find it. For myself, I won't settle for less than McKesh mirrors (or the knockoffs) because they provide a wide, stable view. As you will find, others prefer other mirrors.

As for how to judge the adequacy of a set of mirrors, I think this is a pretty good start.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658
It pretty well echos PopBeavers' thoughts about the 100-feet-back rule.

Bill
My Chevy truck has the small factory mirrors. As you said, those are inadequate. I sue the McKesh.

My GMC truck has the newer factory tow mirrors, the tall ones. I like them better than the McKesh because:

1. They are taller than they are wide. I am more comfortable with that. This may be a personal preference.
2. They are electrically adjustable, so when we switch drivers I do not need to use wrenches to adjust the mirrors like I do with the McKesh.
3. They are heated, for foggy mornings.
4. They have turn signals in them, so the driver next to me might have a clue about what is happening.
5. They extend in or out, and fold kinda flat, so I do not need to take them off and store them in camp.

My McKesh stick out a bit further than the GMC mirrors. In fact, they may be illegally out by about an inch or so.