View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #26
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I am well aware of the heat issue when inflating multiple tires. We were on the beach at Pismo in early December and I was surprised at what I saw on the sand. Dually trucks towing triple axle toy haulers. that's 12 tires to inflate when you get off the sand.

I just want to be able to deal with a low tire from a slow leak, or if I had to use a plug to repair a nail hole in the middle of nowhere.

I'll take a look at the Slime as well. Unless someone has already done a careful comparison of the two.

Since I do not own any air tools, that would not be an issue for me. But I appreciate the information. My son (25) would be more interested in running air tools, as soon as he has a budget that allows him to buy air tools. He just bought his first house, so he is now poor.
Running air tools would require the addition of a portable tank of some sort.

The main difference between a compressor that plugs into a lighter socket and one that requires clamping directly to the battery is power. A 30A compressor (one that clamps drectly to the battery) is simply going to be 50% more powerful than a 20A compressor and twice the power of a 15A compressor.

When filling truck tires to 75# you will need a lot of power to overcome the pressure that is building up in the tire. Both compressors may ultimately do the job but the one with the most power will simply do it faster.

The larger the compressor's piston and the longer the stroke, the higher the CFM that the compressor can produce. The more CFM, the more power that it takes to deliver the air as resistance builds (assuming the gearing is the same). If the compressor has reduction gears (which is very unlikely) that will simply reduce the RPM of the compressor and reduce volume. No matter how you cut it, amperage (power), price and quality are the determining factors when purchasing any compressor.

Whatever compressor that you get, I would recommend one that clamps directly to the battery. There are a lot of them on the market. My wife chose this one on the advice of a friend and reviews that she read. The price is also about half of some of the 30A ones advertised. That being said, you often get what you pay for.

We had 6 campers on last weekends camp-out. I topped off a lot of tires with the compressor to give it a good workout. So far, so good.

Congratulations to your son for buying his 1st house. That is quite an accomplishment at his age. This is certainly the time to buy and he certainly won't regret it. We may never see the types of market value increases that we saw in the 90's and early 2000's. However, there is no substitute for owning your own home. You must be very proud of him......