View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Brifla

Default Too Many Roof Vents

Having just spent time recaulking a good portion of my TM roof with 3M 5200 in hopes of solving a centerline leak, I have to ask why there are so many vents installed. I'm of the opinion that you only compromise a solid roof when absolutely necessary (you won't see a sunroof in any car I own). I understand the AC and Fantastic Fan vent on the TM but would have preferred to not have at least one (if not both) of the skylight vents. There are a ton of windows so light isn't an issue. Also, all these vents are so close together that it seems that some of the structural integrity/strength of the roof was likely compromised. Every hole, seam, screw, etc on that roof is a leak waiting to happen and with the middle seam, edge seams, 3 vents, AC, awning and TV antenna, it's just a matter of time. If I were ordering a new TM, I would skip the addition of the two skylight vents (if that's possible). This would also save in labor and part costs for the TM construction and reduce potential leak and maintenance trouble. Just my $0.02.