View Single Post
Old 04-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #8
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You have omitted a lot of important information. As an example, for most years of the TM product, TM equipped the trailer with 14 inch Goodyear Marathon ST tires, load range C. When owners went to 15 inch tires, Marathons were among the choices. You didn't tell us what tires you upgraded to, but the Goodyear website says the following about Marathons.
. . . Goodyear Marathon
. . . . . 215/75R14 C 50 psi 1870 lb 26.1 inches dia, width 8.5
. . . . . 225/75R15 D 65 psi 2535 lb 28.3 inches dia, width 8.7
So if you somehow got a Load range D tire with 1870 pounds capacity, that was no upgrade. The 225 is the smallest Marathon in load range D. It has a much greater carrying capacity, which is why it was great as an upgrade. However, it also has a much larger diameter, and hence radius, which is what matters. This appears to be the problem you are having - the extra 1+ inch of radius ate up your clearance..
Firstly, thanks for your input. It is appreciated even if a bit sarcastic lol.

No I did not change the size of tire. Pictures I have show ST125/75R14 NOT 15" diameter. That I am sertain about. As mentioned ai believe just the width of the tire changed not the diameter.

Quote:
Good year no longer makes Marathons - they have been supplanted by the Endurance line, which has different specs and options. Did you move to Endurance tires? If so, which ones?
NO I moved away from Marathon tires and am trying something fairly new to the market with a higher load rating and new composite materials.

I purchased Trailer King RST125/75R14. Yup here again Bill is still the same 14" diameters like the original tires and rims. The differance is these new tires have a load capacity of 2200lbs. The diameter is just a bit over 26". For the most part identical to the marathons... having higher load capacity on the tires I upgraded to 2200 load rims as well since they are cheap enough to do.

Quote:
After you made the change to 15-inch tires, did you ever have a tire failure? Tires don't always fail as a violent blowout. If a strip of the tread came loose (and perhaps detached entirely and flew off), it would cause the kind of damage to the arch of the fender well liner. In addition, you say that the tire contacted the fender well where it meets the floor of the trailer. For an intact tire, this is almost impossible, since it would require the tire to move horizontally - which it really can't - and there is a lot of horizontal clearance. In other words, if a tire moves up and down enough, it will contact the wheel well liner above it. But I don't know how it could move forward and back enough to contact the liner where it meets the floor
Again to clarify I NEVER went to 15" tires. Not sure where you are getting that. IF I stated that above it's in error but do t think it did. As I mentioned in the OP the tire on that side showed treads that did expand from the heat generated from friction. NONE of the tread however was missing from the tire. As for contact made. Please look at my last picture I posted. It clearly shown tire treads coming in contact with that lower portion of the fender well at the floor of the TM.

Quote:
Assuming you did not have a tire failure, another possibility is that you hit a piece of road debris such as an "alligator" at some point. It could have been carried up into the wheel well area and done damage.
😄 alligators up in my neck of the woods is none existent. Although I did travel to Florida a few times. No the fender well clearly shows the cutout indicative of the tire treads. It can clearly be seen in my picture posted. I will try and post a picture of the tire on that side of the TM so you can look at it and tell me what you think.

Quote:
As for the axle, did TM make the change in down angle as early as 2007? I know my 2006 did not have the change.

Do you know which axle you actually have? Did you read the tag on the axle, and decode it on the Dexter web site? That would confirm the starting angle.

Yes, Dexter recommends 3" clearance above the tire. We discussed that here on the Forum. After I made the change to 15" tires, I did not have quite that much clearance, but I had more than 1 1/2 inches
From a few posts I read here people seem to indicate that change was made in 2007. The axles down angle is confirmed as 22.5 degree down angle torflex by dexter.

Quote:
Finally, you say "I am leaning towards having to install a lift kit which ironically Trailmanor supplies to get extra clearance rather than change out the axle to the 45 degree down axle by dexter to gain clearance." First you say they did make the change to the axle. Then you say they didn't, so that they could sell a few lift kits. I'm confused. Are you suggesting that TM should retrofit an axle installed in 2005 with a new one?

So this is the kind of information we need. Can you fill us in? And by the way, TM has been making and selling trailers since 1990 or earlier.They have a lot of experience in building them, and a lot of user experience behind them. You might want to soft-pedal the design-flaw accusation until the issue gets sorted out.

Bill
Bill please read my OP I stated that my TM is a 2005 so if TM changed to a 45 degree down angle apparently post 2007 as some have suggested on the board my statements are consistent. The purpose of this post is to try see others suggestions so I cover my bases and correct the situation as best I can. In so doing I layed out the facts as best as I know them to be so that others can provide thier experience and insight. That's it. Is it possible that the wrong axle was picked out? Well that's for you to determine and tell me. My 2005 TM only had about 1.5" of clearance and still does. You stated yours also had a bit more than 1.5" clearance with a 15" tire you used. Dexter recommends 3" of clearance. Hence the need of a life kit. The new Trailmanors as I understand from others here have a 45 degree down angle axle and no lift kit. Others with older TMs have resorted to installing a lift kit needed with 15" tires. I DID NOT upgrade as the newer tires to 15". They are still 14" just are now higher load rated.

Again thanks Bill for your comments look forward to hearing other suggestions you might have for me.
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote