View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
BigBear

Default Trailmanor bike hitch relatively easy to install.

I bought an '08 2720SL that did not have a factory installed bike carrier receiver from a dealer and part of the deal was that they install the carrier. They ordered the part from Trailmanor and bolted it in place to the steel frame members. The bolts are visible when you remove the rear storage bumper cover. Now, what I don't know is how they installed the carrier - whether they had to drill holes in the frame members, used bolts that were already there, or what; so I can't tell you the degreee of difficulty to do the installation

I ordered one from trailmanor a couple of years ago by mail. The only work in installing it was to drill a couple of 1/2 or 5/8 holes in the C Channel frame of the trailmanor on each sides for the two bolts. I also had to make a small cut in the sheet metal sewer hose holder to allow a bigger gap for the new hitch plates and bolts to pass beside the sheet metal liner. As I remember this is something that any hitch shop that does welding could likely make for you. All it is is a square of about a one foot 2x2 inch hitchbar section receiver welded in the middle to about a 5 foot 2x2 inside dimension hitch section with the bottom of two thin 1/8 inch plates about 8x8 inch welded 90 degrees at the end of the 2x2 section. These plates are then bolted to the flat side of the trailmanor C-frame which is accessible in the sewer hose bumper container. What is different about this compared to standard hitches that are put on vehicles is that it was only rated for a 100 lb rating for bikes which is probably a bit conservative. The 2x2 inch hitch bars seemed quite strong. I believe it is the relatively thin 1/8 inch plate and the two smaller bolts each side which gives it the low load rating.