View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
clown9644

I think used campers follow the same concept as used homes for sale. The owner prices way too high and calls that "fair" cause he "NEEDS" that amount to move on to his next venture. I always counseled my clients that this is not going to be the actual selling price and in fact by overpricing their homes they probably have put it in a price point that is higher than the house/neighborhood can support and prices over the amount people use as their ceiling. A real good measuring stick: ask how long it has been on the market. The longer the time frame the more it was overpriced and the folks who really were interested moved on to other things.

Just because they are asking $4000 above book does not mean they are going to get it. I agree that NADA is about 3+ months behind, after all they have to collect the data and get it averaged out and then put into the book. Kelly is a little better. But remember it is these books that a dealer will go to to figure out what to give you in trade in.

If it were me trying to buy a used camper I would go by NADA and offer that fair market value, or less. Let the buyer think about it and counter offer. After all that is what negotiations are all about. He wants the very most he can get, you want to pay the very least you can. The best deal possible is where both parties feel they got what the wanted.