View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
mtnguy

gadusfly,

I haven't done any long trips with my combo yet. The only time that I have figured the mileage was when I first got the TM, with 4 trips over the Blue Ridge and 200 miles on the odometer. The mountains around here kill the gas mileage whether you are towing or not. I got 12.2 mpg on that tank. I was a little disappointed with that.

My F150 has the 5.4L V8 with a 3.73 axle. But it is a 4x4, with the super cab. The truck alone (along with a couple of add ons like the Trac Rac system) weighs 5820 with a 1/2 tank of gas and driver (me). I couldn't believe that when I got it weighed a couple of weeks ago. The TM with basic supplies (not groceries) and WDH weigh in at 3400 lbs. By the time I add the missus, some firewood, my bikes, canoe, charge the toilet, and add water, I will be near the 5 ton mark. It all adds up quickly. Weight and air displacement are the enemy.....thank goodness I am towing a TM instead of something bigger.

Towing on fairly level level road seems effortless with this combo. I hope to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 mpg on longer trips, but time will tell. I do tend to be a very conservative driver.

mtnguy