Thread: Tacoma Towing
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
benjburton

I have a 2005 2 wheel drive Tacoma with the 4.0L V6 and 6 spd manual transmission. Living in South Florida, it tows perfectly fine. It will get up to any speed I want, and maintains it with little difficulty. However, acceleration is poor, and I am concerned about the eventual trip to the mountains. I have owned the trailer for less than 6 months, and have averaged 12 - 15 mpg.

I added 500 lb helper springs to the back, so the truck now sits fairly level front to back, but still squats a bit. If I'd do it again, I'd add the 1000 lb springs. I was just concerned with a harsher ride all the other times when I don't tow. With the springs I added, I cannot tell much of a difference in ride quality when not loaded.

The manual transmission works great, except for when backing into tight spots, and I'm on the clutch, I do smell it burning. It's a slight concern, but as I've learned the weight and what the truck can do, I'm able to apply a lot less throttle while riding the clutch.

If it weren't for the fact my Tacoma is an access cab, I'd be happy with it long term. Unfortunately, it's very uncomfortable for 3 people, so I'll likely upgrade the TV at some point in the next year. I've debated a 4 door Tacoma or Colorado, but will likely go with a 1/2 ton truck just so I can get a bigger engine that will tow more comfortably. I do prefer the size of the mid size truck though. I'm sure I'll change my mind several times over the next year before I make any decision.