View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Wow thanks for sharing that story. It gratifying to see work you did last so long. Would love to see it one day.

By scarf do you mean a scarf joint of some kind? I guess I am unsure how someone is able to get deep enough into that area to remove the wood rott. It appears to go I. Pretty deep. In some areas it's more than 2".

Perhaps a tool like this one could get most of the wood put?
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS354...a-820646831002
Were you able to blow up the illistration that I posted?

Some manufacturers call that Dewalt "Oscillating Tool", a "Multi-tool". Same tool.

If you have a mini-circular saw "4". I would plunge cut that at about the angle that I illustrated first. That would give you a nice square, straight cut to start from. Then I'd finish the cut with the Oscillating Tool. Then take your new 2x4 and lay it against the 2x4 that is left to get your cut line. Mark and cut that line on a miter saw so that it is perfectly straight. You can then dowel, screw and glue the two together. The dowels are for strength. The screws are mainly there to hold the 2 parts tightly together because you cant clamp them.

If you don't feel comfortable using dowels, just use long, #10 S/S wood screws. The main thing is to pre-drill the new part so the screws don't grip that wood. You want the screws to grip the old wood and draw the new wood into it as you tighten.