Thread: Hitch?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Have been thinking about a web page with all of the parameters (most of which I considered when choosing my TV). For example you not only want the LA (hitch ball to axle) to be short, you also want the ratio of WB to LA to be at least 3:1.

The problem is that there are a lot of PBIs (partly baked ideas) out there, some of which are good and others that may have a basis in fact, the real meaning has been lost like tire plies.

Point I am trying to make is that you need to consider the entire towing system, end to end and side to side (on a TM everything heavy that is not centered is on the street side even where they had a choice.

Consider my 2720Sl, probably the most common TM of all time. Why is the battery (or batteries in some cases) on the street side ? That is 70 or 140 lbs (2 T-105s or my Grp 29 and Generator) that could be on the curb side with a few feet more wire.

Instead batteries, water tanks (fresh and gray), lav, tub, toilet & fridge is all on the street side & mostly right against the wall. No wonder I have an inch less tire clearance on the street than the curb side.

Which also makes me wonder if most tire failures are on the street side. People talk a lot about failures taking out the dump plumbing and that is street side.

Wonder where I could get a 2500lb strain gauge...
I've wondered myself about how much side to side difference I have. For example, you didn't mention, ahem, the difference between the driver and the passenger.

I try to travel with as little as possible for fresh water, gray water, and the toilet, but I usually operate with a full water heater because setup is quicker. The batteries do have a left side bias, but they're only about a foot from the centerline in my trailer.

A visit to the Cat scale is a visit to reality. Just weigh all 3 axles once, and then again with only one side on the scale segments.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote