View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by klv5920 View Post
I can see using the alcohol but the dry cleaning fluid is highly flammable. And the lingering odor might not be desirable. Am wondering also about just using a clothes steamer. Other than being dusty, how dirty can the curtains get? And steam would freshen up the fabric a bit. Not sure what I will do. But, then, I am one to change things so I may not even keep the curtains as they are. I would like something brighter. But since they hug the windows, good for keeping out the cold and heat, yes?
The dry cleaning products that you can purchase today, from places such as Amazon, are non-flammable.

A steamer by itself will not do a very good job. You need an agent to separate the dirt from the fabric. The choices that I know of are detergent/soap, alcohol, dry cleaning fluid.

I'm not sure about the lingering odor. My wife will get 15 blouses, 12 slacks, 4 sweaters all dry cleaned, take them home, and hang them in a single walk in closet. There is no noticeable residual odor.

Water, or water based products, will always cause shrinkage. So what is needed is something that will not cause shrinkage.