View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Redhawk

Hello rd, I tow a 2619 with my '08 Highlander Sport and it does well. You got your numbers a bit mixed up I think. Some are hard to find. We tow in Colorado in high altitude and I have been surprised how well it does do. I may get some of these terms mixed up, but others here are very good at explaining it. The weights I list are from memory, so I'm sure they are off +/- 100lbs. Sorry....
Highlander tow rating (with tow pkg) is 5000# I haven't weighed mine yet, but I'm guessing the TM is between 3500 and 4000 loaded. Has A/C, Solar, Cabinets, awning, 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks, etc.
The max weight the HL can carry is 6200# this would be HL (4250 lbs)+occupants, tongue weight and supplies.
The combined weight rating I found was approx 9250 lbs.
After all my figuring, and using worse case scenarios, I only had about 400 lbs head room when accounting for my DW, myself equipment and loaded TM, so we DO have to watch our loading. I don't fill the fresh water tank with more then 5 gallons and fill up once we reach the camp site or area, and load the HL as light and balanced as possible. You get the idea.

You DEFINITLY need a WDH, so figure that in. Night and day difference, not an option for safety and handlings sake. Also, what part of the country do you live and plan to tow in on a regular basis? That can make a huge difference as well.

The main message I'd like to get across is that it will work....may take some planning, but you'll have a blast! It tows like a dream. I know of other 08 HL's that tow bigger TM's and are happy. Go for it!!!

FYI...I recently towed the TM over Cottonwood pass outside Buena Vista CO, tops out at about 12,500 feet and is mostly a 10% grade. I could easily hold 40 mph without strain, if not for the switch back curves. And like you'll read here in MANY posts, the worry/challenge for me was going DOWN hill, the HL transmission in the "manual" mode is made for this and was a saviour!