View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbres View Post
I read (and tried to understand) the info in this forum on Highlanders and TM, but admit I still don't know if we should buy a new 2619 since we have an '08 Highlander Sport with tow package. Toyota indicates GCWR is only 6,000#, which is inadequate for a loaded 2619 and the SUV (loaded, over 4,000#). I come up with over 9,000# when combining loaded SUV and TM. Doesn't sound like we will be able to join the ranks of TM owners. Sigh. Any hope out there?
Can't speak for the '08, as I'm going by the info on the Toyota website for the '09... but generally speaking, WITH FACTORY TOWING PACKAGES, the V6 is rated at 5000 lbs, the 4cyl is rated at 3500 lbs, and the hybrid is rated at 3500 lbs. Given this info, the V6 is the only option IMHO as I would never attempt to tow anything with a 4cyl, much less the very marginal 3500 lb TC. (Most vehicles with 4cyl engines have a 1500 lb TC.)

Many of today's SUVs and crossovers are not really "trucks" at all. They are merely "cars" with "truck" bodies on top.
This is visually appealing to most these days, but doesn't change the fact that they are more or less, still cars.