View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Several years ago, we actually did an informal poll of member recommendations for tow rating. Although there were a few outliers, mostly on the more-is-better side, the consensus was that a tow vehicle should have a minimum tow rating of 5000 pounds. And that works only if you have few people and pack very light. I assume that many of your family of six are young kids, so they don't weigh much. But the "stuff" to support them may make up for it.

Many of our members have opted for pickups, where tow ratings of 6K or more, and with the factory tow package, are easy to get and a great solution. Seating in a pickup would be an issue for you, but many closed-body SUVs should have the tow rating you need, and the seating you need. The Expedition is a moose - I personally love it - and though it might be viewed as a bit of overkill, would make a wonderful rig. Chevy and many of the Japanese makers make similar offerings. I won't point you in one direction or another. You'll need to do your own research and your own shopping to see what meets your other needs.

Just as an aside, you should be aware that a 2518 will be pretty crowded for you, as would a 2720 - especially on rainy days. And when the manufacturer (again, any manufacturer) brags about the number of people a unit will sleep, you should be sure you know exactly how this is accomplished - and how this would be affected as your kids get a couple years older. TM has been getting a little more honest about this in recent years, but "Sleeps 6" requires some set-up and tear-down for the night. Please try to arrange an extensive visit, including setting up and taking down all the beds, before you make a decision.

BTW, are you aware that TM's optional swing tongue reduces the closed length by 2 feet, which helps in garage-parking scenarios?

I'll mention one other thing. Vehicle manufacturers publish a tow rating as a single number. This never made sense to me - obviously you need more capability to tow in high altitude mountains such as the Tetons or Rockies, than you do to tow in the flatlands of the midwest or deep south. Fortunately tow ratings have gotten a lot more honest since the SAE stepped in with their J2807 spec a few years ago, but you should still consider your camping plans as you think about tow vehicles.

Also it is worth noting that a bigger tow vehicle would give you the option to move into TM's 30-to-33 foot class. Big TMs are currently made in only the 29 and 31 foot class, but there are used TMs at 30 and 33 feet that might be interesting.

I don't want to seem like I am pushing you into anything that you don't want, or don't need. I'm not a believer in bigger is better. I will welcome you into the Forum no matter what you choose. But since you are new to this whole thing, some experience-based knowledge could be valuable.

This is a long post - there is a lot to say - and I hope it has been useful to you. if you've read all of it, I thank you. Folks with smart phones tend not to go beyond the first few lines, and ignore the rest, which is a waste of my time. So I'm trying to reduce my long-post count.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote