View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #19
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post

Now it seems I may have a Muffin Man in my future.
Dina and I have been communicating thru PM's about the muffin man toaster. She's billing me for the cost of it, saying it's all my fault. She found a good deal on Amazon for a two muffin model. It also shows the tray where you place the canadian bacon/sausage.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-TE...ref=pd_sim_k_2

Anyhow, I thought I would copy part of one of our messages here in case anyone else get's one....as to a few things I have learned with mine.

If you get one, here are a few lessons learned.

1. The little metal tray where you pour the water, works better if you clean it after each use. As the water boils off, it leaves a residue (I think just from stuff in the water). It almost looks like a rust. All you have to do is take a wet cloth while it's warm, and it wipes right off. From what I can tell, there must be a sensor attached to this metal tray, that when the water level boils off (evaporates), then the machine knows to turn off. If you don't clean the tray, it seems to trick the sensor if you cook another round right after the first, and the eggs don't cook fully the next go around. I usually cook about three rounds (6 muffins cause that's how they come in a pack) while out with friends. Wipe off the tray each time, and you're good to go. It just takes a few seconds to do it. Also wipe it off after you finish. If you let the residue dry, you have to scrub harder to get the residue off before you use it the next time.

2. It comes with a water measuring cup, and has different predetermined level lines for if you want your eggs harder or softer. I use just a hair more than the medium line, and get the eggs perfect.

3. On the toasting part, it has adjusting knobs for the level of toasting. I turn the knobs to the halfway point on each side (but this is a preference thing)

4. The egg poaching pans are coated with an antistick stuff, but that's not good enough. Spray them with PAM or coat with a butter BEFORE you place your egg in them (every time). If there is any residue in the pans after you slide your egg out, here again wipe them out while they're warm and it makes cleanup so much easier and gets it ready for the next round. You have four pans (well, the one I bought does), and can alternate between the two sets as you cook/clean them.

When an egg is poached, I take a little plastic spoon and make sure to kinda just work it around the entire edge of the egg and pan, then go up under the egg middle, and it releases the egg from the pan in one piece. This is why you want to use PAM, so the egg doesn't stick to the pan, and tear when you try to remove it.

Also, when you put the raw egg into the pan initially before poaching, use your plastic spoon to break the yolk. Gravity will then take place and the yolk will spread out. If you don't bust the yolk, then you will have a poached egg that is thin on the edges with the white, and has a think center with the yellow.You want the egg to be fairly uniform throughout. You don't need to stir it up. but just bust the yolk, after you place the pans in the cooker. Like I said gravity will do the rest.

It may seem like a lot to remember but it's not. Once you cook a few, you'll be able to do it quickly and with hardly any effort. Is your mouth watering yet?