Thread: Dorm fridge
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
But are we really worried about efficiency in 110VAC? That’s kinda like switching the running lights on your camper to LED because you think it’ll save your battery…

Anyway here’s an article that talks about the compressor. From everything I understand it’s a whole lot lore efficient any which way opposed to absorption.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...ng-compressor/

I’m not saying the dorm fridge isn’t feasible. Heck if you can make it work, I’m on board. I like saving money as much as the next guy.
Shane........ we are talking about a 110V compressor driven fridges (not absorption fridge) running off of 12V batteries and solar.....

Anywho...... just for kicks, I went out and plugged the fridge in (with inverter running). The fridge is warm because it's been off for a few days. The wattage shows 59W @110v. It takes about 30 minutes to settle down to 35W + or minus. Of course, when the fridge cycles off, it drops to "0". I had it running for 2-weeks with 3-1/2G bottles of water in it and it seems to run about 8-hours a day. the 1/2G bottle in the freezer froze solid overnight. The other bottles did not freeze. It's been in the 70s and 80s here.

I have a "Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter" on order and should be here before my next trip. That will show all of the watts consumed and tally them up over time. I had a big electrical panel on my boat that displayed all of the electrical facts and acted like an electrical gas tank gauge. Back in the day, that thing was about $1K. Now I got this thing that does everything for under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3773.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	20925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3774.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	20926