Thread: Dorm fridge
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Wavery said “My bet is that the 12V/110V fridge that costs over $1K is simply a 110V fridge. I'll bet that they have a 12G, 12V input and an internal 250W (or so) inverter.”

My understanding is the compressor itself is built for 12VDC, and being brushless it is designed to ramp up to the needed pressure opposed to a conventional compressor which is simply either ON or OFF. Check out Danfoss compressors. Plus they were designed and built in Denmark, which is always a bonus to me.
That's the 12V compressor that I had on my yacht. The compressor/evaporator kit alone cost about $1000 back in 1991 when I installed mine.

If they use a 12V 4-magnet motor in the compressor, think of how they would have to get it to run on 110V. I'm thinking the fridge must have a built-in converter (110V AC to 12V DC) in that case. That certainly wouldn't be very efficient.

Then again, I don't think that fridge is exactly built for efficiency. I thought that it is built for sleeper cabs in long haul semis. They leave their engines running 24/7 so I don't think that efficiency is a huge factor.