Thread: Tuson Anti Sway
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You had sway with a 2720 behind an Expedition? I'm impressed! In 15 years of TM ownership, towing a 2720 about 10,000 miles a year behind an Explorer (next size down from an Expedition), we've been through a few emergency maneuvers such as you describe. Never a sign of sway.

Although it is a little late, let me relay a small step that made our ride feel better, and may help your situation. Increase the tire pressure in the tow vehicle. The tires on our Explorers were rated 44 psi max according to the sidewall information. However, the sticker in the driver's door says to inflate to 35 psi, and every garage jockey did it. It is important to realize that this is a "cushy" setting that makes the vehicle feel more comfy and less truck-like to the driver, and it is fine for non-towing applications. But when we hooked up the TM, the ride always felt just a bit mushy. Boosting the tire pressure from 35 psi to 40 psi always made it feel a lot better.

Is this relevant to you? I don't know. But for us it was quite noticeable, and quite effective.

When you describe sway, was it a repetitive wag-wag-wag thing? Or was it just a one-time sensation of over-correction? The former is definitely dangerous. In my experience, the latter is not, since it corrects itself immediately with no requirement for me to do anything.

I think I understand how the Tuson works, although they are a little short on technical detail. But from what I understand, it should be valid. From a technical point of view, I think their demo video is complete BS, so that concerns me.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote