View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default But, Ctek Solar/MMPT power delivery is very suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Recent EBay prices, from USA sellers, range from $190 to $260:
http://www.ctek.com/au/en/chargers/D250S%20DUAL
Maximum Output is 20A. It includes an MPPT charger (for low-voltage Solar, less than 24V) and automatically uses both Solar and the Bargeman Supply from the TV to charge your batteries.
In "early" firmware (2013 and earlier), Ctek was found (by users posting on other forums and boards) to do a bad job of delivering Solar Power to batteries, even when the TV is not connected. At least one person upgraded to the Redarc, and found the more expensive machine to work as expected (i.e., WAY better.) Although there is talk of a certain firmware release solving the problems, I didn't find any measurements of solar power delivery from one of these "later" devices.

With a lot time spent re-wiring panels into parallel, and deleting the high-voltage panel from my Solar Array, I could check out this possible problem on my "new" device, using just two panels in parallel. But my Solar is working great in its current configuration, with 3 panels at high voltage (~65V). I've decided to leave the Rogue MPPT and Solar Array unchanged. And there is already a switch to disconnect Solar from the Rogue MPPT when towing in non-optimal conditions.

Therefore, although it is an expensive machine, built and advertised for combining Solar and TV power sources, I'll be using it only for TV power. (I'll leave the Ctek Solar terminal unconnected.)
- - - - -
Update 11/09/2015: The box arrived, and it has the newer firmware "B50". Unfortunately, the Temp Sensor is an insulation-wrapped "lump", and not a ring terminal for a "+" battery terminal. This will limit the accuracy of its measurements. There is no documentation about efficiency (i.e., heat generation by the device), but it probably doesn't generate much heat. (That's a SWAG). To prevent theft, I will mount inside the TM - next to the Rogue Controller. (The other "good looking spot", behind the Fridge, can't be used ,because the Temp Sensor Cable is too short to reach my front-mounted batteries.)
- - - - -
Update 11/14/2015: I've installed it, it works pretty well. (With no connection on the "Solar Array" terminal).