View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldporkchops View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Trail Manor forum and would like to get a Trail Manor in the next few months. I'd like to ask what hitch you'd recommend? There's currently none on my vehicle.

I've a 2016 Honda Odyssey that has a 3,500 pound towing capacity and a 1493 pound payload. GVWR is 6019 lb and Curb Weight is 4396 lbs.

I've a family of six so more space would be preferable. Could you please let me know which version would you safely recommend for my family?

Since the height of Trail Manor travel trailers are a much lower profile, do I still need to stick to the commonly used rule of thumb by towing only 75% to 85% of towing capacity? Or is it 90%?

Thank you in advance for your time and help with my questions.
The Honda Odyssey is a marginal tow vehicle when the TM is packed extremely light and only 1 or 2 passengers. If I were you, I would look for a much larger tow vehicle. Towing with a family of 6 will overload that Odyssey under the best of conditions. Please don't put your family at risk.

Towing safety is all about what the tow vehicle can STOP in an emergency. If you can't stop your tow, it could get really ugly, really fast. Trailer brakes are helpful to a point. The main stopping power comes from the tow vehicle.