View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 07:57 PM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Dave -

I am eager to hear whether the gas pressure adjustment makes the difference. Six inches is pretty low - I'm surprised some of your other appliances didn't complain. Where did you get the pressure adjusted, and if I can ask, how much did it cost? It is an easy adjustment for anyone who has a manometer. And I've seen where some folks have rigged up their own manometer using a little vinyl tubing. The principle is pretty straightforward. Not sure I would do it myself if a pro isn't too expensive.

When I was looking for a new door seal for a small Sub-Zero fridge/freezer in my house, the manual suggested removing the seal and soaking it in hot water. Never did try it, but if the manufacturer suggested it, it isn't totally out of line.

Bill
Hi Bill -

The camper wasn't mine, but a friend's. And actually I stand corrected, it was 7 inches, but still, obviously quite low. They still haven't checked the fridge yet to see if that fixed the problem, though they did immediately notice that the flame of the stove burners was noticeably higher when set on high. I'll report later this weekend. They did make up their own manometer using the vinyl tubing method you described, but someone with a "real" manometer came over to measure it by hooking it up to the gas line where it connects to the fridge, and then again to the line where it connects at the stove (to make sure there was not some other cause for low pressure). The analog manometers are cheap -- a quick search on Amazon shows lots for about $50, and then you just need an adapter to connect it to whatever compression fitting you have. It doesn't take long to check -- most of the time is disconnecting and reconnecting the gas line (and checking for leaks) at wherever you want to test -- 15 min tops, so figure 1/2 hr of labor to be conservative.

I have not deeply explored the technique for replacing the seal on their fridge, but some instructions I did find instructed you to cut off the old seal and stick on the new one. Seemed odd/imprecise/cheesy, especially from a reputable manufacturer like Dometic.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote