View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

It varies, according the "overhang" of your Tow Vehicle's hitch receiver. With my 2007 4Runner TV and my heavy, fully-loaded "31245-like 2619" loaded to present about 450 lbs of unsprung hitch weight on that receiver, I did "before and after" measures of the 3 axles at a nearby truck scale - but I didn't write down those numbers for "future reference".

IIRC, 4Runner rear axle weight went down by over 400 lbs. Before cinching up the WDH, it was carrying a lot of weight from the UNLOADED 4Runner front axle, as well as the full weight of the hitch (in a situation with pretty severe torque at the hitch receiver, due to that front axle "unloading").

I measured before and after, but didn't write down the numbers I obtained for any
"future reference". Cinching up the WDH chains to create level "axle compression" on the front and rear axles of the 4runner (equalizing the measuring change in wheel well height for the TM unattached versus attached) the front and rear axles of the TV were "loaded" by about 250 lbs each, in comparison to sitting with the TM unattached, and the TM axle was increased by about 150 lbs.

Without WDH cinched up, rear axle loading was around 650 pounds higher with TM attached (450 from the hitch, and another 250 created by unloading the front axle of the 4Runner, creating a probably dangerous situation for braking and steering control).

WDH adds a lot of torque at the hitch receiver (in the reverse angle/"direction" from the torque created without one), but my hitch ("RATED" for only 5000 lbs) has not cracked from using this WDH with fairly high tension. I check it quite often.