View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb It's probably your lower body weight, combined with incorrect torsion bar adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklee View Post
Just a quick question, since this string is about opening the TM. Opening isn't an issue for me, but closing is impossible (by myself). If my husband were sick or unable to help, I'd like to be able to close.

My problem is closing the rear, making it latch.

1. If I were to lower the tongue, would that help the back portion settle down?

2. I'm short - 5'. Is that a factor? (and 70, so strength isn't my thing)
Are you having trouble pushing forwards and starting the downwards motion? Or - if you get it mostly down, and then have trouble: Does it come to rest too high at BOTH the far rear (off the bumper) and the "middle" end, rest or does it rest too high only above the stirrups and latches at the middle end?

In pushing downwards, lowering the hitch tongue helps much more during the start of the lowering, where the lowered tongue jack helps you push the shell towards the front. It doesn't help so much at the end, when the final motion is nearly vertical.
- - -
If the trouble is at the end, then the problem is not your height - it's your lighter body weight in the stirrups, and slight mis-adjustments (too strong) in one or more of the lift bars.

I think that you live only 30 miles from me. If you want to drive up here with your TM in tow, I'd be happy to work with you in adjusting the tension/strength on your torque bars, while you're parked in front of the house. PM if interested.