View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Doug W.

We had a normal trailer when I was young. We also had a tent trailer when I was young. I tried a camper on my truck. I have owned a tent trailer for a number of years. I was also in Boy Scouts as a boy and an adult leader, so I have done my share of tent camping also.

We bought our TM a little over a year ago. We just got back from Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I would have hated towing anything be the TM or my tent trailer there. I had plenty of truck, but the cab over camper still made the truck less stable than I preferred and I would have not have liked taking it to Eureka Springs either. The road just has to many 20 or 25 mph curves to close together.

While at Eureka Springs, there was a pretty bad thunderstorm. It was kind of funny the phones were acting up the next day. The ATMs were out of service at the first two banks we tried. Anyway the thunderstorm was bad enough that I am glad I was not in my old tent trailer. I can remember getting in the car a few times instead of staying in a tent or tent trailer for some very violent thunderstorms over the years. Other than the load noise the rain made, we were very comfortable in our TM.

This trip definately proved to the wife and me that the TM was the right choice for us. I will also say that we have used it more in the last year than we did the tent trailer in the last serveral years. It is about as easy as the tent trailer to setup, but is much more comfortable.

I have seen the microwave in place of the built-in gas oven mentioned. I found a good deal on a used TM and had no choice. It had the microwave in place of the gas oven. It is nice to not have to carry a microwave. It functions as both a microwave or regular oven. It is easy to change between regular and microwave. I have used it for both ways and it works. If you always used hookups, it it will work fine. I have used my trusted old cast iron dutch oven when dry camping, but it would be nice to have the gas oven.

One other thing to consider. We wanted a 2720SL, but the one I found used was a 3124KS. I am really glad we got it. I hear people complain about the storage space in the 2619 and 2720s. That has not been a problem in our 3124KS. The king bed is great also. We sleep with our feet towards the back of the trailer and our heads towards the front. That way one of us does not have to crawl over the other to use the bathrooom in the middle of the night. The 3023s and above also have a larger axle and tires. The tires on the larger trailers is not an the upper end of their weight limit like they are on the smaller trailers. Of course you will most likely need a larger tow vehicle to tow the larger trailer.