View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

I don't think you can drive up to a Ford assembly plant and drive away in a new Ford. They are a manufacturing operation, not a retail facility. Maybe TM can accomodate you, but when I was at the plant, I sure didn't see any retail space. It wouldn't hurt to email Ed and ask. But whatever you do, don't surprise anyone. Meaning don't just show up and say "I want that one!" Buying from a dealer near the factory is fine, but you should make sure he will have what you want, when you want it. By the way, I think you'll enjoy the factory tour, and you will really enjoy the area. Assuming it is not winter, be sure to spend a day (or more, nice campsites) at Norris Dam State Park. And make sure you meet Ed Lytle - he is a great guy and you will deal with him for anything that requires factory input or attention.

Having said that, if you have never seen a TM, it is very much worth your while to see a couple or three before you try to make up your mind. Your profile says you are from KC, Kansas. It might be worth your while to make the journey to either of the dealers in Mo (I know, each is a couple hundred miles from you), just to look at a couple. Alternatively, the entire midwest is RV territory, so although you might not have a dealer close by, you might be able to find an RV show in Kansas City where one of them is strutting his stuff.

The reason I think it is wise to see a couple TMs, even if the one you want isn't there, is that all TMs are basically the same. The floor plans are a little different, but the appliances are pretty much the same, the bathrooms are the same, the A/C and awning are at the same place, the shells open the same way, the bed(s) are at the ends, the door is at the center and enters into the kitchen, there is a living room at one end, etc. The layouts/floorplans are pretty similar, though not identical. But once you have gotten acquainted with the basic concepts, it won't be hard to visualize the differences when you look at the floorplans on the TM website. And people on this board will be glad to help you with model-specific questions.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote