View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 02:58 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Awesome insight here!
I'm right there with you, Shane. That is something I never would have considered. It took me a couple minutes to draw the picture in my mind, but when it suddenly solidified, I was amazed.

Quote:
TM has used the escape window for over ten years now.
If memory serves, they have actually used several versions of the escape window. Early ones were fairly small, and like you, I wondered about getting it open and slithering out in an emergency. The escape window in my present TM looks considerably bigger, though I admit I haven't opened it yet. Raising the front edge of the rear bed is still a good solution in my mind, and I'm thinking of adding a drop-down leg to hold it open during the escape.

Like the OP in the related thread, I am having a minor problem with a rear bed slide. The pile-up of washers on the bolt slips into a different configuration as the bed reaches the inner end of its travel, so pushing the last inch is a bit tougher. A wrinkle in the plastic slide is at fault. I've flattened it as much as I can, and I was getting ready to go to aluminum as others have done. Having read your post, Travis, I guess I won't do that. Maybe a new plastic slide, cut to the right length and properly screwed down, will do the job. It's not really a big enough annoyance to get excited about.

Quote:
And to those with a front slide model, this is why you don’t stack all your knick-knacks on that front vinyl velcro flap. In case of fire, that’s the front emergency exit.
Oh, I can sweep all that stuff off there in no time if I don't mind breaking some of it. Wedging myself down through the opening gives me pause, but I bet I could do it. What worries me more is the time required to hold the couch cushion forward and rip open that long Velcro strip, so I can raise the flap.

Thanks to both of you for your comments and ideas.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote