Thread: archy
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Hondo

I think the key word is comfort level. I am a prospective buyer, and have no experience with a Trailmanor. I have pulled the same 17 foot boat about 3000 pounds across the Eastern hills with a 4 liter Ford Aerostar van, a 4.3 liter Chevy Astro van with tow package, and a 4.7 liter V8 5 speed auto Toyota 4Runner. All three went up all the hills and boat ramps. On hills where the two vans would be in third gear at high rpms at 50, the Toyota could do 75 or 80 in fouth or fifth gear. No, I don't normally drive that fast but that is another story. Here is where the comfort level comes in. In the West follow RockyMtnRay's advice. Altitude kills horsepower. He is a true expert IMHO. In the East I have simply slowed down, monitored cooling, traveled lighter, and used lower gearing to go where I wanted with the vans. My fun began when I got to the lake, not with the driving there. With the Toyota I am much more comfortable and confident. I really don't notice that much difference in towing like I did with the vans. To me it really comes down to "comfort level" and how fast you drive both up and DOWN the Eastern bumps once the TV is rated to tow 5000 pounds. Having said all this, when it came time to buy a new TV, I paid an extra $2000 to get the V8 and 5 speed transmission to increase my comfort level when I bought the Toyota. The Trailmanor dealer was probably correct in his statement, but to me he should definitely add some comments about comfort level. It then becomes an individual decision.